Monday 13 October 2014

Another hardworking week in South Shields flies by!


Quick blog :)
If any of you has seen the Grand Prix  or any worldwide famous car race, and you see how fast they all go by the starting line each lap? You blink, and they go past flying in less than a second. Well, that's how this last week was for Sister Ahola and me!
 
I'll first answer the questions Mother dearest wrote in her email this week:
 
​How has your proselyting week been?
It's been busy! We've had our ups and downs with people we've found and are just being the patient, hardworking missionaries that we are. We found a young lad called George last night. He and a wonderful lady who doesn't come to church anymore are the only 2 successes we had in 3 hours of finding and going by less-actives. But you know what? It was worth it!  We're seeing him this evening. What I love about being a missionary is that the message we share is 100% good for everyone in every way at any time anywhere at any stage in their life. That to me alone is a testimony that it is God's gospel we're sharing, because He loves everyone and has a perfect plan for EVERYONE. No wonder it applies to all mankind! The message aka the gospel is also free, and it gives SO much more back to those who accept it and live it. I sometimes wonder why everyone isn't running up to us asking how THEY can have eternal and everlasting happiness! Then I remember what it says in the scriptures about people seeking truth 'they know not where to find it', so it's our job as members (not just full-time missionaries) to SHARE the gospel, so people CAN know where to find it and choose to accept it, live it, and see how it blesses them and their families' lives.
 
How is the weather?
The weather is getting COLD...BUT blue skies mostly every day. Rain and grey skies are rare! As long as there's blue somewhere in the sky, Sister Kuhn is happy about the weather. In saying that though, I've had some of the funnest moments on my mission running around in the rain (or hail) lol Hopefully the weather keeps up until AT LEAST the 4th of December...
 
 Your district?
Oh I love my district. Elder Boyer is our District Leader. He instructs and prepares a meeting each week where we meet with the district. It's a chance to practice teaching and using our skills and knowledge, receving revelation for the people we're working with, and feeling spiritually strengthened. He also calls us every night at 9.30pm after we plan for the next day (from 9-9.30pm) to follow up on our day, making sure we're in our flat and we're safe, give us instruction and advice on the people we're teaching etc. He's a busy guy! I served with him when I was in Beverley all those months ago only for 6 weeks, so it's funny that now he's my District Leader! We also have Elder Price who came out with Sister Ahola, so they're best buds. He's being trained by Elder McBride who has about 6 months left of his mission. All from America - Sister Ahola and I are the only one's who aren't. We have a close district, all in the same ward, we all get along great and we all work hard.
 
The ward?
Oh man, that ward is AMAZING. It never ceases to amaze me how dedicated, helpful, loving, strong and kind all the members are in the wards I've had the pleasure of serving in here. It's like WOW! South Shields is no exception :) The leaders are all fab and they're so willing to come out and help us teach or have us teach in their home, have us over for tea...all sorts. I'm so so grateful for the wards I've served in. All have been just marvellous!
I really like Shields (that's what the cool kids call it now days. Aint nobody got time to say 'South Shields'). I love being by the beach. It's very peaceful there.
 
Sister Kuhn and Sister Monroy
I went on exchange to Newcastle last week as well. I love that place :) The ward is also great there too! I was with Sister Monroy from Guatemala. She has a very interesting mission story! She served in Colombia for 4-6 months because of her visa..and then she came here and she is trying really hard to learn English better. She is a convert and she is so much fun haha I just love her. I test out my horrible Spanish all the time with her, especially over the phone. She laughs because she doesn't get to speak Spanish very often..but really we all know she's just laughing at my Spanish. We can have about a 15 second conversation so far..I'm trying to increase it to 30 seconds and then a minute and next thing you know I will have learnt Spanish perfectly! I had SO much fun with her on exchange. She is so fiery and powerful! A testimony like a massive boulder that just comes rolling on in, in every finding or teaching situation. I loved the time I was able to spend with her. She and Sister Rossi have a baptism this Saturday. I hope we can get an investigator and go to it with them to see it. Sister Rossi is from Italy. She goes home at the end of the transfer and she came down to Shields with Sister Ahola :) She also really enjoyed herself. They live with the Newcastle University sisters so I was able to be in a 4-man flat again which was splendid! I go on exchange with one of the uni sisters this next week. So exciting!!! I really love being able to serve these sisters. They are SO powerful and so special in their own way. I learn more from them than they do from me I know that's for sure! I'm also becoming more and more comfortable being a leader on my own (without an STL companion anymore). It's teaching me a lot more about leadership and about myself which I'm really enjoying. What a privilege it is to serve in the church. Not only do things get planned and accomplished, but there is always so much growth when you serve others.
 
We're doing a lot of teaching and finding and just running around like chickens with our heads cut off!
Week 5 up next! Our week is already looking scoopa doopa busy - so I'm sure it'll feel like a blink of an eye until I'm sitting down on this computer writing to you all again!
 
I also got many emails this week which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm sorry if I don't reply to them all this time around. Time goes so fast and we have a time limit on how long to email for. Gotta be speedy! I'll see all you Aussie peeps soon-ish anyway! Warm it up over there for me! :)
 
Love y'all !
Sister Kuhn
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment