Sunday 24 November 2013

Poppy Day, Planning Meetings and 1 degree Outside! (Emailed 18 Nov 2013)


WEEK 4, Transfer 4

It's approaching week FIVE of transfers this week coming. Transfer calls are next Monday and transfer meeting is on the Wednesday, which means I will be emailing on Tuesday next week. Just letting y'all know :)
 So last Monday was POPPY DAY. At 11am we had 2 minutes of silence on the way to the library to email. Everyone just stood stopped wherever they were in the street as the church bells went at 11am and then trumpets sounded, then when 2 minutes was up, the trumpets went again and everyone went back to normal life. It looked a bit funny actually, it was like a massive game of freeze. It was good to be a part of though :) That night we went to visit our mate John Dinsdale. He was a referral from a while ago from Sister Sheffi in the branch, she is friends with his daughter Ann. John is about 80-odd years old, Christian, and he's lovely. Says he's not changing, but we are just going to love him and see what happens! Things ended sort of badly when I first met him with my previous companion, he thought he was being pushed to being baptized, but it wasn't that way at all. He actually told us not to stop by for now. I knew he would soften later on. So when Sister Edgington went with me to see him again last week, he didn't even remember me! It was almost like Heavenly Father had put something over his eyes to forget that he had met me. He remembered the 'Australian' that was one of the missionaries he'd met before, and I even TOLD him it was me, but he said 'Hmm nope, not you' Well he actually said 'No, she was much skinnier than you' Haha WOW THANKS JOHN... We've seen John 2 or 3 times since the first time we went back last week, we love him! He loves us too :) He is extremelly talented at art and making things. We just really want to continue building that friendship with him and he will eventually come around, I know he will.

Tuesday we went to go see our friend in Cross Hills called Janet. She's old-ish too, very lovely, religious as well. We taught the Plan of Salvation with her a bit more. She agrees with it all but still says she won't change because she's too old to change. She is so sweet and kind and always lets us in to chat though, so we'll see. Then we saw Bobby-Jo, a less-active. She's a funny lady! Love Bobby-Jo. Tuesday evening we had a Relief Society activity at the chapel combined with Young Men and Young Women making cards. We have a VERY talented card maker/sugar crafter in the branch. If you don't know what Sugar Craft is, google it. She was the representative for England for the company of Sugar Craft. Her name is Dorothy. She is a convert of about 2 or 3 years. Her conversion story is amazing! She did the activity..and Patsy came! Patsy who fell off the face of the earth! She's back! We ended the night by going to see Magdalena who has been having on-going trouble with her ex-husband. So much drama. We just pray that it all works out.

We took a train to Settle on Thursday, had a bit of an adventure, talked to lots of people, saw our old lady mate Elsie. She's also really old and can't do much, but she believes everything we testify and teach about as well.

Fridayyyyy we had a wicked weekly planning! Made some fantastic plans for this week! On Saturday we drove to Grassington, about 20 min drive. Went by our mate Neil, but he was really busy and couldn't talk but said come back this next week (and we most definitely will!) We knocked about 3 hours in total on Saturday..and we got FIFTEEN potential investigators. FIF-TEEN. Yeah, that is a lot. 2 familes, 1 of them had 3 kids and the other has 2. We also went knocking in Skipton on George Street as well where we met some more lovely people. Our prayers were truly answered. I'd been praying so much about what we can do to improve and what we can do to find people who are being prepared, so we have the prompting to go knocking as much as we can, and find so many people who were willing to have us back to hear our message. We plan on visiting them all within the next few days, so I'll update you next week on the progress! Sunday was lovely, we had a few member visits which was really nice. We love the branch here. It will be sad to leave them!
 Sunday night we went to visit Patsy but she wasn't in. Her sister who was being taught by missionaries as well has just moved in next door to Patsy, so we went to see her. Her name is Maggie. She's lovely :) We'll go by and see her again on Tuesday hopefully.
 Transfer predictions: so our District Leader said that I am going to be transferred to a new zone and become a sister trainer leader, and Sister Edgington will be follow-up trained and then will train the transfer after next. I thought he could be right for a bit..and now I think I'll stay, might train again, and Sister Edgington will go. But we won't know until next Monday 'eve! Exciting times :)

In all honesty, these few last weeks have been a little bit challenging. Sister Edgington and I are coping with it fine, but we just haven't been able to find any new SOLID investigators for the past few weeks. We've been doing everything we normally do. We've been working hard, but we also have been visiting a lot of former investigators that previous missionaries have taught. After both having received revelation a few days ago to stop visiting them and to go knocking, we will continue to knock doors and try and find the people who are being prepared to hear the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
 Also, Zone Conference is tomorrow. The whole northern zone of the mission AKA half the mission. I got a call from President Pilkington on Saturday (I think)..he says 'Sister Kuhn, I hear you are the best at lesson plans'. I was like 'ummmmm whaatttt?!?' As it happens, Sister Pilkington was in our FABULOUS zone training meeting last week and she was raving to President about how it is the best meeting she has been in that missionaries have organized since she's been out on her mission. I must admit it was a great meeting, but that has nothing to do with me. I was asked by the Zone Leaders to share what I do for my lesson plans though in the meeting, and Sister Pilkington brought my name up in the massive meeting they had on Saturday when they were discussing the northern Zone conference, so he calls me up and asks if I'll share 2, 3 or 4 points about what I do to plan well...in front of half the mission! Wow. He's getting missionaries to come up and share how they do things instead of him doing it I guess. What I heard was they get the best at finding, the best at teaching, the best at planning, the best at studying..and they get them to teach everyone else what they do to be successful at it. So there you go! The only thing I do to plan my lessons is do what my Zone Leaders Elder Esteves and Brase said to do about lesson plans and about asking questions! I love my leaders. I just do what they say and I complete faith in them, and I've proved to myself that I can be successful if I listen to my leaders.
 So it's been a solid week :) ups and downs as always, but we are doing well!
Our Zone Leaders are crazy, but I love them..in a missionary way.

Oh and just before I go, I just want to give a shout out to SISTER EDGINGTON'S FAMILY for raising such an outstanding, amazing, strong, smart, happy, daughter of God! She has blossomed in the last few weeks! When we were knocking on Saturday and she was talking and testifying I was looking at her like YEAHHH BUDDYYYYYY that's my girl! She is getting more and more confident and I am just SO proud of her!!!!! She will be training in no time :) once she increases that confidence of hers and confidence in her ability, she will be a fireball. I just love her!!!
 The church is true, the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Jesus Christ lives, he is my Savior, he is the Savior of the world, I know it. I love you all, I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY. Thanks for the emails and letters and everything. I really really appreciate, I read every one of them and I smile the whole time! THANK YOU
 Keep it real, God bless xxxxx


p.s I neglected to acknowledge the ENGLAND WEATHER the past few days. I think my brain is purposely trying to forget it. It was ONE DEGREE YESTERDAY MORNING. And ZERO at 7pm LAST NIGHT. The only problem is..it's mostly beautiful blue skied days, but ONE to THREE DEGREES outside. I can't.I don't..I just..can't even. Cannot even comprehend how somewhere can be so cold. At least I'm not in Russia where it gets to like minus 30 or something crazy. Anyway, here's a few pictures of how it was yesterday and the degrees. Buurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!






No comments:

Post a Comment